Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hurricane Ike Aftermath

We are still alive. Thanks be to God! This is the first chance I have had to get on the internet. The church office has power and internet. So for the time being, I will have to blog from here. My neighborhood currently has no power or telephone. But we did receive mail yesterday! We had a lot of limbs and branches down. One hit our chainlink fence and took out a section. We spent Saturday, Sunday afternoon, and Monday cleaning all that up and helping out our neighbors as well. If there is one bright spot out of all of this, it is how all our neighbors have come together to work together.
The hottest thing to have right now is a generator. There is the constant hum of generators throughout our subdivision. A number of subdivisions and a good part of the city core of Friendswood has power. We are hoping that we get power back again as well. Some grocery stores have opened. So we have been able to get some food. We were well stocked and we can go on for a number of more days, but it was good to get some more. Gas is very tough to get. But our cars are still well fueled from before the storm. Sheri's van still has almost a full tank and I have over half. We have been driving minimally. FEMA set up a a POD (point of distribution) this morning in a city park just past the church. And that was about two days too late. The cars are lined up almost as far as the eye can see. I think they are people from other areas. I am not counting on FEMA for anything right now. I hope they are doing a better job in the areas that were really hit hard by the surge and other flooding. Power company trucks are much more important than FEMA in my book.
The girls have been real troopers through this. They slept through the storm. They have been helping clean up. But they won't be back in school until the 22nd at the earliest.
Again, sorry for rambling. I will post as often as I can.

No comments: