Sunday, May 17, 2009

Reflections at Forty

Another decade older. So what? I don't feel any older. Actually, I kind of feel younger. I am beginning to understand this mid-life crisis thing. It's not about being older and compensating for it. It's about doing again some of the things that I did when I was younger. For example: In my teens and through my twenties I rode my bike, a lot, just about every day. I dropped most of that in my thirties (kids and Seminary do that to you.) But recently I decided to get back on the bike. After working through the initial pain of muscles screaming, "you've got to be kidding me!", it's enjoyable again. I rode in a paceline with a number of riders yesterday. It felt great..until my lungs felt like they were going to explode. But I thought to myself, "I can do this again!"
After initially dreading the big four oh, I have come to acceptance. God in his grace and mercy has brought me this far. But the way I am beginning to see it, my forties might be better than my thirties...God willing and the creek don't rise (see post from April 20th.)

No comments: