Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Speed Racer - The Movie

A couple of weeks ago, I saw the movie "Speed Racer." (Yea, I'm slow getting my blogging done.) Sheri had no interest in seeing the movie. But I did - because Speed Racer was a big memory from my childhood. When I was a kid, every weekday morning (during the summer) I would watch Speed Racer. Then right after it was over, I would go outside and join my other friends who had also watched. We would get together and then ride our bikes around and re-create the episode on our neighborhood streets and in our backyards. Great times.

Back to the movie: The movie did a good job of keeping your attention - some by the very loud color pallet, but the story was well written; kind of like an TV episode in three or four parts. The CGI was over the top. And the cars were way cool. But one thing I wish they would have done during the race sequences is obey the laws of Newtonian physics at least some of the time. For a good part of each race, cars were spinning, moving sideways, etc - almost like they operated in zero gravity with a perfectly lubricated track. Memo to the directors: it's okay for cars to behave normally, even cars in Speed Racer world. I will still enjoy it. Too much is sometimes too much.

Spoiler: the best shot in the whole movie was at the end of the second race. The Mach 5 crosses the finish line for the win. Speed turns the car sideways to slide to a stop and then immediately jumps out of the car and strikes the Speed Racer pose - a total homage to the end of the title sequence in the orginal cartoon series. When I saw that shot, I grinned like a little boy again from ear to ear.

No comments: